Author(s): Flaminio Gualdoni
The Bauhaus arts and crafts institute was founded in Weimar by Walter Gropius in 1919. In setting out its programme, it was intended to bridge the gap that had appeared in the 19th century between art and crafts, aiming to build a common expressive language. Avant-garde artists from every part of Europe joined, including Paul Klee, Wassily Kandinsky, Laszlo Moholy-Nagy and Oskar Schlemmer. The innovative approach of the school provoked the immediate hostility of the academic circles of Weimar. Accused of Bolshevism, in 1925 the Bauhaus was forced to move to Dessau, before being definitively suppressed by the Nazi regime in 1933. On the occasion of the 90th anniversary of the Institute, 50 extraordinary works produced by the Bauhaus and made known at the time through exhibitions, conferences, shows, manifesto books, come back to life in the 96 pages of this unmissable little monograph, the latest in the low-cost "Skira Mini ARTbooks" series.